Visited by U.S. presidents, traded for a farm, home to a railroad company’s offices, site of a grand dance hall and base for regular Lowell Thomas broadcasts, the Green Mountain Inn has a rich and storied history. The Main Inn and Old Depot buildings and Sanborn House are listed as Numbers 13, 14 and 105, respectively, on the National Register of Historic Places.
Peter C. Lovejoy originally built the property in 1833 and later traded it to Stillman Churchill for a 350 acre farm. Churchill, who added two brick wings, a large dance hall, a double front porch and renamed the building Mansfield House, lost the holding in a mortgage foreclosure to W.H.H. Bingham from whom Churchill had borrowed money. Mansfield House operated as a hotel, was later transferred to W.P. Bailey and renamed the Brick Hotel, and in 1893 became the Green Mountain Inn when it was purchased by Mark C. Lovejoy. In 1897 the Depot Street building was built to house the Mount Mansfield Electric Railroad and the Sanborn House was bought to become a blacksmith and livery.
The Inn has played host to many famous people over the years including President Chester A. Arthur who acted in a theatrical production at the Inn as well as Gerald Ford who was on assignment as a model for a Look magazine photo spread in Stowe.
In 1982 Marvin Gameroff, a Canadian visitor to the area, fell in love with the Inn and bought the property and later transferred it to the Gameroff Trust, the Inn’s current owner. To mark the building’s 150th anniversary the next year a major renovation was undertaken to renovate and restore all of the Main Inn and Depot Building original rooms as well as upgrade the building’s infrastructure and safety features. Plans included installation of air conditioning and cable TV as well as construction of a meeting space, outdoor swimming pool, fully equipped health club and the Whip Bar & Grill restaurant.
Another renovation in 1989 combined several small rooms into three large suites with fireplaces and Jacuzzis. Also refurbished were the Inn’s foyer, library and living room common areas which now display a number of original Walton Blodgett paintings in addition to those already hanging in the Main Street Dining Room.
These projects were just the beginning of the Inn’s transformation to its current state as a multi-use, diversified hotel and property. All of the Inn’s upgrades have been designed to retain and blend the Inn’s historic charm and traditional feel with the very best amenities and comfortable appointments to enhance our guests’ experience in staying with us.
Annex & Club House
Next on the “To Do” list in 1993 was a complete renovation of all Annex rooms as well as the addition of new Club House rooms with canopy beds, fireplaces and Jacuzzis. The Spruce and Smugglers Club House suites, which included living rooms and fully equipped kitchens, were finished the next year as was a completely enclosed covered walkway – complete with a cozy fireside sitting area leading to the year-round heated pool.
Luxury in the Mill House, Sanborn House, Old Depot
The next phase, conducted from 1997-1999, was three-fold. Construction of the Mill House added eight elegantly appointed rooms with amenities such as king canopy beds, Jacuzzis, fireplaces, sitting areas, refrigerators, DVD and CD players. The Depot Building was expanded providing additional retail space as well as four new luxury rooms with amenities similar to those in the Mill House. Lastly, the Inn purchased and completely renovated the historic Sanborn House on Depot Street, adding the Inn’s two Village “apartments” – the Sterling and Pinnacle. Featuring one and two bedrooms, respectively, both apartments offer fully equipped kitchens, living rooms with fireplaces, large screen TVs and DVD players, washers and dryers and master bedrooms with fireside Jacuzzis.
By far the Inn’s most ambitious and sweeping project began in 2000 with construction of the Mansfield House to add 22 new luxuriously appointed suites and rooms to the Inn’s accommodations. Fireplaces, marble baths, large screen TVs, king or queen canopied beds, stereo surround sound, original artwork are just some of the amenities afforded by each room.
Two 1,800 square foot luxury apartments – the two queen, one sofa bed Starr and one king, two sofa bed National – were added in 2004 and two other two bedroom family-style apartments – the Goat and Liftline – opened in 2008. Each apartment has a large family living area, fully equipped kitchen, Jacuzzi tub, washer and dryer and large screen TV and all the appointments and comforts of home.
Depot Street Townhouses
To accommodate a family or two families traveling together two or three bedroom Depot Street Townhouses were added to the Inn in 2002. Both offer a central village location atmosphere and access to all of the Inn’s facilities.
Yearly renovations since 2008 has kept the Inn current with meeting travelers needs while keeping the lovely historic charm. An elevator was added in the Main Inn servicing the Main Street Dining Room, guest accommodations, Village Room, living room and library. All guest rooms have been renovated with new décor, most with granite countertops in the bathrooms, large flat screen televisions, in-room safes, a crisp, luxury bedding program and Keurig coffee makers. Many accommodations now have refrigerators and microwaves. In 2013 the year round outdoor pool has undergone a major renovation with a brand new pool with expanded seating, an in-ground spa, kiddie pool and fire pit. During the spring of 2014, the Whip Bar & Grill restaurant underwent a major renovation. The Whip bar, originally designed in 1950, has been redesigned and enlarged. The open kitchen line has been extended with brand new equipment. The Whip patio has recieved finishing touches and will provide a beautiful “al fresco” dining experience during the spring, summer and fall seasons. New artwork and updated lighting will adorn the walls of the Whip restaurant. Today, the Inn offers 103 unique rooms, elegant suites and luxurious Village apartments located in 8 buildings in the heart of Stowe Village.